Contact

Friday 6 December 2013

Potential TAU force idea.

In another Warhammer 40k related post I’m going to be looking into the TAU, if I had the funds, patience and inclination I would be balls deep into buying these guys, as I briefly mentioned in my Chaos / Daemons post I love shooting armies, LOVE THEM! The Tau embody everything that’s good and wholesome about brute firepower and some of their units can lay down a surprising amount of this. As usual we start at the top with our HQ choices.

My personal favourite is the Cadre Fireblade, for no other reason than he can give your pulse weapons an extra shot provided you haven’t moved your men, meaning that a 12 man fire warrior team plus Cadre Fireblade can let off 39 shots at rapid fire if they haven’t moved that turn, not bad and that doesn’t even include if you have taken any drones either! The 2nd HQ choice for me is the character DarkStrider who is essentially the Rambo of the pathfinders, he can team with your fire warrior squad giving them SCOUT and the ability to consolidate after firing overwatch which is very handy I would say, he also makes every non veichle target you fire at – 1 toughness, which again is pretty handy! I think teaming these two HQ choices together with a Fire Warrior squad is just the smart thing to do.

Onto the Troop choices, I have selected a squad of both choices. We can start with the Fire Warriors first, a full 12 man squad teamed with the two HQ choices will just be nasty, between number of shots and decreased toughness of the targets you should rack up plenty of wounds on any squad you open fire at. I haven’t upgraded them with any drones or anything but if you wanted MORE shots you could easily add a couple of gun drones in for a giggle, you can even add drones to the Cadre Fireblade too for even MORE shots! Points allowing of course. I also decided to throw in some Kroot, as they can now be given sniper rounds in their guns, I think I have gone with a squad of 15 all with sniper rounds available, imagine that if you get some good rolling you can make quick work of almost anything and then if you moving them with your fire warriors you get a bit of extra protection for them as fire warriors have the supporting fire special rule, sadly the Kroot do not but they do  have infiltrate so can get up close and personal very quickly to ensure they can get some shots off.

Ok onto Fast Attack, I originally went with a flyer unit, but I hate flyers so I changed my mind and went with the Pathfinder unit, it’s small as I am only using the 4 man squad and 3 of them are all upgraded to rail rifles, which at 30 inch range, strength 6 and AP1 you cannot grunt about them. These guys have SCOUT too so can get nice and close quickly to be shooting range. A great unit to have running with your Fire warriors and Kroot troops, one hell of a load of men with great guns all aiming in your enemies general direction. NICE!

The Elites choice was an easy one to make; I have simply decided that 2 riptides are the way to go! Both Riptides taking the Ion accelerator upgrade instead of taking the standard the burst cannon.  Then using upgrades to take sky fire, also interceptor and the two shielded missile drones they can take too. So overall a very harsh shooting unit and the enemy have to deal with two of them and even then only after they have gotten rid of the two shielded missile drones and at toughness 6 and a +4 invulnerable save to hide behind it’s going to be potentially a challenge.

The thing you have been waiting for is here, you cant make a Tau force without the HEAVY SUPPORT option, this heavy support bracket fills out nicely kicking off with a sky ray missile gunship, fantastic sky fire ability so can throw some serious shooting at airborne targets as well as replacing the two gun drones for a smart missile system then using the upgrade to give the tank overwatch with its strength 5 weapons, the smart missile system falling into this category. The next heavy unit is a 3 man broadside battlesuit team; now this was an easy choice with the rail rifle as their primary weapon and the smart missile systems as their secondary weapon. Two of the battlesuits are using the upgrade to give them interceptor while the other is using the skyfire special rule upgrade to give them one hell of a level of suppression firepower on anything that flies in or deep strikes in as well. Then to captain the Heavy Support options in this force we have the Hammerhead gunship, piloted by the LongStrike upgrade. The Hammerhead itself has a strength 10 AP1 heavy 1 gun which isn’t to be trifled with and this is backed up by a twin linked smart missile system. Ok onto the Longstrike upgrade, this gives the tank some new bits such as an increased BS to 5 instead of 4, it can overwatch and not just once but only once per target and has black sun filter ignoring the night fight rule making this guy a pretty tough cookie to deal with when he is aiming at you.

That about wraps up my army idea and that’s just what it is, an idea, whether this would beat everything is questionable but I do believe that this would give any force a run for its money on paper, however you cannot account for dice rolling on the day and how your opponent’s dice rolls go on the day too. I do think this will suffer against serious horde forces but against a general balanced force I do honestly believe that this can handle anything that gets thrown at it.

If you have the models to do this army then please be my guest to take it for a test drive and see if it fits ok and please let me know if you do, would love to hear about it.


You can follow me on twitter @bigboss010 and you can also follow my cohorts @KingJimmeh & @siteofshite too. I’ve been Big Boss and I’m out… Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment