Contact

Saturday 19 March 2016

Warhammer 40,000 Conquest – 19th March 2016 – Watchtower Games Tournament Report

So, I took Ragnar Blackmane, for this, the first Warhammer 40,000 Conquest tournament at Watchtower Games and my initial thoughts when I saw a 10 man turnout were pretty nerve wracking in all honesty. I was however excited at the prospect of playing some new people and even people I hadn’t played in a while so I got myself all psyched for a good day. I will make a quick point of saying that I do not remember most of the moves or rounds of these games but if any jumps to mind I will try to note them.
My first game was against a new player, James, who rocked up with Commander Starblaze. From initial plays I could tell that James had a very limited selection of cards available and even by his own admission had only played about 5 games prior to our encounter. I managed to win this game after killing his warlord; I can’t remember which turn it was and despite never facing a Tau deck with Blackmane I did feel like this wasn’t a true test for the deck.
1st Round – Win – 1-0
The second game saw me taking on my eventual finals opponent Josh, who was piloting Zarathur and a pretty solid build at that. However I tend not to leave much to chance with this warlord because of his ability to really put a damper on my day and I recall putting this one to bed pretty early with the warlord KO to keep this momentum going.
2nd Round – Win – 2-0
After a spot of lunch we came back for our 3rd round which saw me take on the player I really wanted to have a game against, Dave, who was piloting Nazdreg and I wanted to play against Dave as I hadn’t managed to test Blackmane against him prior to the tournament. This game saw me pick up the win after winning battles at 3 straight planets; the last planet was a real test as nothing screams challenge like a 10HP unit with Brutal! Good game and had plenty of laughs.
3rd Round – Win – 3-0
After 3 rounds of swiss we went to a top 4 cut, my semi-final opponent was not overly happy getting me as his opponent since he had played against my Ragnar deck 3 times prior and had never managed a win. Robert was piloting Cato Siccarius, so this match was Space Marine vs. Space Marine and resulted in a victory by planet icons. It was a tougher game than I expected but was pretty chuffed to have ousted him from the tournament prior to the finals.... Sorry Bro!
Semi Final – Win – 4-0
The finals, wow, not going to lie I was pretty chuffed at this stage and was amped for Josh who got into the finals after managing to overthrow Old One Eye in an epic battle in his semi final game. This game was a lot more involved than our first encounter during this event and had a little more back forth to it. However I managed to win the planets I needed to grab the big W and take 1st place.
Finals – Win – 5-0
I won a playmat that I gave away to one of the other players and the usual promo bits. This tournament was more to see what interest there was in the local area and to test Ragnar out before going to a store championship with him. My Ragnar deck is now 15- 1 following this event and I am also hoping that this luck will carry on for the store championship. I hope to keep a record of that event also and maybe try a mini write up like this for that event also.
Thanks for reading this, if you are interested in picking up an LCG I would certainly recommend Conquest and must admit that this is one of the best card games I have ever played; trust me I have played a lot. So please support this amazing game if have any interest in Warahmmer 40K or card games in general.
I’m Big Boss.... I’m out..... Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment