Contact

Sunday 15 May 2016

Watchtower Games Spring Tournament 14th May 2016

I had ages to prepare for this tournament and still felt like I didn’t put in much as effort as I should have. I only finished my deck about 5 minutes before the 1st round. My deck list looked horrible written down, but luckily the score isn’t judged based on neatness of deck list writing. After a long drawn out process I decided that Packmaster Kith was the lady for the job, I really wanted the Shadowsun alternative card but I didn’t want to bring something too negative to play against like my previously used Ragnar Blackmane deck or my Broderick Worr deck (rather negative to play against considering how little effort went into making it) and yet I wanted to play something that could take me far if things went well. We had an 8 man turnout, so fewer than the previous tournament but we lost at least 4 local players due to other commitments and hopefully the next event will be bigger in turnout.
 
 
My deck list for today ended up as follows:
 
 
Packmaster Kith
10x Khymera Tokens
 
 
Army - 27
4x Kith’s Khymeramasters
3x Rogue Trader
3x Void Pirate
3x Klaivex Warleader
3x Warlock Destructor
3x Sllyth Mercenaries
3x Saim Han Kinsman
3x Bloodied Reavers
2x Syren Zythlax
 
 
Events 13
3x Archons Terror
2x Pact of the Haemonculi
2x Gut and pillage
3x Raid
3x Superiority
 
 
Attachments 7
1x Agonizer of Bren
3x Promotion
3x Shadow Field
 
 
Supports- 3
1x Khymera Den
2x Archons Palace
 
 
Round 1: Vs Shaun Jackson -  Swarmlord with Stalking Lictor – Win – 1-0
 
 
This was quite a scary game for me, Swarmlord can throw units out without needing resources due to his ability and I had also helped Shaun edit some cards in his deck prior to the event starting to get some more synergy. I did manage to win out on command though and managed to fend him off on planets 1 to 3 in order to pick up a win here. The 3rd planet fight was a bit close, was half tempted to let him have it, but after umming and ahhing I decided to go for the 3rd planet win. Luckily it paid off and I beat off the Swarmlord for a first round win.
 
 
Round 2: Vs Alistair (No idea what his last name is “SORRY”) – Captain Cato Saccarius – Win – 2-0
 
 
This was a surprise, as I knew he only had two core sets, so seeing him playing Cato was a little bit of a shock and I figured he would be using the Tyranids. This game was pretty cut and dry from round 1, I managed to win all but 1 command struggle and used Superiority to stop him winning the command that he did win. Sadly this was another case of winning on planet 3, as I rushed the next two planets to pick up the win. This game I felt was easier than the previous game, but Space Marines do have a high cost curve compared to Tyranids and this really helped me focus on the resource choke.
 
 
Round 3: Vs Robert Arrowsmith – Ragnar Blackman – Loss – 2-1
 
 
Well this game was ridiculous and probably resulted in me no longer caring when I made it to the top 4. Please do not get me wrong, I do not mean ridiculous in any way that reflects Rob’s playing but more my own and I will explain why. It was the 5th turn of the game, I did not notice that planet 1 was Rob’s win condition and me being a dumbass went to planet 3 because I thought his win condition was planet 2 instead. He had no cards in hand and no resources left, however he had enough to fend off my assault and this resulted in a 5th planet win for him. Stupid playing on my part and if I had sent my warlord to the first planet to I may picked up the win as I was 2 units off picking up the win.
 
 
Semi Final: Vs Ashley Simpson – Baharroth – Loss – 2-2
 
 
What game, this was a negative play experience if I had ever had one, I should have redone my starting hand as it really didn’t give me what I needed to do start off strong and win command struggles. Ash played really well and didn’t make any mistakes that I could take advantage of during this game. I had pretty much given up at this point though to be honest due to my stupid playing in the previous game and as I figured the Eldar vehicle deck would simply be too much for my swarm to handle I threw in the towel. Bit of a negative game there but think my attitude when I got to the top 4 was pretty “glass half empty” so it wasn’t even a shock when I lost. But fair play to Ash, he managed to play well and pick up a well earned 1st place after he won his finals game.
 
 
Was an enjoyable outing, started off really well and was starting to feel the flow of the deck when tragedy struck. However it was a nice turnout and always a pleasure to play conquest anyway. The next tournament for me is the regional event in June. Still deciding who to play moving forward, I’m tempted to stick with Packmaster Kith and see what I can do to stop making stupid mistakes during play. I could maybe rebuild my Ragnar Blackmane deck and take that with me to play with instead. Time will tell, I have a first round bye anyway due to my store championship win and that will give me a chance to scout people during the first round anyway.
 
 
Thanks for reading this, I really appreciate it and if you are looking to get into any card game I would really consider Warhammer 40,000 Conquest.
 
 
I’m Big Boss and I’m out.... Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment